disk space on NT

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Thu Nov 19 07:00:39 GMT 1998

> Klaus,
>
> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 20:00:26 +1100, Klaus wrote:
>
> >We have a 8GB scsi disk on a samba server. If we look in the explorer
>  on
> >our NT clients, we see only 4GB disk space with 0 bytes used (seems to
>  be
> >a 32 Bit limit ?!). Is this a problem of samba or of the NT client ?
> >Any solution available ?

Two possibilities - if your client has trouble,
you can use:

   max disk size (G)

which gives the (unbelievable) max disk size which you
can set low for a client unable to read big disks, but
you can keep writing past that size limit (don't know
exactly what happens when you really fill it up, whether
you then finally get a good "disk full" message or waht.  If
the server is offering up the wrong size (how about half
what it should), you might use:

   dfree command

and write a short script that parses the df command and
multiplies by two.  (Left as a simple exercise :)

(descriptions found in "man smb.conf")

Cheers,
Bill