Getting my samba server to show up in browse lists

Chris Knox cknox at hypercom.com
Fri Nov 6 16:26:33 GMT 1998

I've succeeded in making my samba server visible around the net, however
I can't convince the thing to appear in the browse lists on remote
subnets.  I've read John Terpstra's article on configuring a browser at

	http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/ftp/docs/BROWSING-Config.txt

however my (admittedly willful) ignorance of Microsoft networking is
making this article seem rather opaque.  I can read it that I must have
a list of subnets at "remote browse sync" and the same list at "remote
announce" or I understand that it's not necessary since I have a single
WINS server.

I've stripped the comments out of my smb.conf file and appended it
below.  I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be very close, just need
the right combination.

Chris

[global]
workgroup = INTRANET
   server string = Samba Server
hosts allow = [a dozen subnets in a.b.c. format -- could long lines cause a prob
lem?]
   load printers = yes
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = share
encrypt passwords = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
remote browse sync = [same dozen subnets as above]
remote announce = [same dozen subnets as above]
domain master = no
domain controller = AZPHXNT01
domain logons = no
wins server = a.a.c.d
   dns proxy = yes
[tmp]
   comment = Temp Directory
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
[homes]
   comment = Your Home Directory
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
guest ok = no
read only  = no
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes
[cadeng]
        comment = CAD Engineering
        path = /cadeng
        public = yes
        writable = yes
        printable = no
        write list = @cad

--
Chris Knox                                               cknox at hypercom.com
Hypercom, Inc.                                               (602) 504-5888