Netlogon problems

Miquel Bonastre miquel at fib.upc.es
Fri Nov 6 08:05:47 GMT 1998

Hi,

  We use Samba 1.9.18p10 on a Digital Unix alpha workstation
  as file server for our users. In rush hour there are 80-100
  clients connected to the server. It works fine almost all
  the time but sometimes we have problems with the login
  from Windows 95.

  When the problem appears the user enters username, password
  and domain and it displays the message

  - Cannot found the shared resource. Be sure it's correctly
    specified

  or

  - The specified password is incorrect or the access is denied.

  (This are translations from the spanish messages)

  sometimes the user only needs to press enter again on the
  authentication window (so the password was correct),
  sometimes he needs to try a lot (5-6 times) and sometimes
  it never works.

  This problems never appears with the same operation from
  a dos client (using Lanman client), so we thing is a Windows
  95 problem, but there should be something in the server
  that forces it.

  It doesn't seem to be related to the number of clients connected
  because we have had 110 clients at the same time without
  any problem and it has appeared with only 50 clients.

  Now we are trying to monitors the net and disk activity to
  try to see if the server load is the cause but when the problem
  appears an interactive session with the server works fine.

  Has someone any idea about why this problem could appear?

  Please, bring me ideas about where to search the causes,
  parameters that I should review, windows 95 configuration, ...

  Where can I found information about timing parameters
  on the makefile?

  Which is the daemon that serves the netlogon? nmbd, smbd or both?

  Thank you very much.

--
                            Miquel Bonastre (miquel at fib.upc.es)
                            Area de Sistemes Unix (LCFIB)