Tips for improving performance

Dave Wreski dave at nic.com
Tue May 26 11:06:39 GMT 1998

Hi all.  I just converted a few NT workstation shares over to a Linux box
running 2.0.34-pre14, 64M RAM, 3c59x, and samba-1.9.18p5-42.6.i386.rpm, RH 4.2.

The user's are complaining it is somewhat slow.  What can I do to tweak
performance?

The files it is serving is PageMaker 6.0 files, which are quite large, typically
more than 20M files, but there is also netscape mail folders which are stored on
the server.

I'm hoping to see what I can do before I leave for the Expo tomrw morn.. Any
help greatly appreciated.

Oh, also, this is a RH 4.2 box, and I noticed there was a conflict with the RPM
from contrib and PAM, and I had to use --force to get it to install.  Really
made me nervous having to do it remotely...

Dave Wreski