NT and slow logon

Mark Ferguson mark at pixelfusion.co.uk
Fri May 8 17:42:26 GMT 1998

Jeroen Vriesman (joenix at xs4all.nl) wrote on Tue, 07 Oct 1997 01:27:11 +0000
>Hi, still got the problem of NT slow logon, what am I doing wrong?
>
>This is the situation:
>
>Samba running on Unixware 2.1.1, SVR4 and RedHad.
>
>Win95 and smbclient in any unix works fine.
>
>A win NT machine sees the workgroup, but browsing to it takes a LONG
>time ( 3 or 4 minutes or so..) and when the machines appear ( redhat,
>unixware and SVR4 ) it again takes a lot of time to log on, after that
>everything is fine.
>
>I got mail about DNS, LMHOSTS and lots of other things, but all the tips
>( thanks for the tips anyway ) didn't solve the problem.
>
>Because win95 works correct, I think it's just some esotheric win NT
>setting.
>
>Anyone?
>
>Thnx,
>
>Jeroen.

Ralf Beck (ralf at rbsoft.sdata.de) wrote on Fri, 10 Oct 1997 21:49:10 +0200
(MET DST)
>Jeroen,
>
>I had a similar thing which was caused by the Unix samba machine having the
>same name as the workgroup. It took about 15 secs to attach each drive
>after a login. This was with NT 4.0 Server SP 3 and newest Samba.
>
>Regards, Ralf

We have just fixed the same fault that has been bugging us for months:
very slow NT4 Workstation network drive logins (upto a minute per drive),
browsing erratic, 20-30 second
delays when draging over the Samba server in the neighbourhood network,
long delays with apps that use
network names rather than drive names.
Win95 ok.
The samba server name was the same as its workgroup.
Problem eliminated when workgroup name changed to be different to server name.

Perhaps some one could add this gotcha to the NT readme.

I just found this by searching the Samba mailing list archive - thank you
to those who maintain that.

Regards

Mark Ferguson

PixelFusion Ltd                              Tel: +44 1454 878740
2440 The Quadrant                            Fax: +44 1454 878644
Aztec West                                   http://www.pixelfusion.co.uk
BRISTOL
BS32 4AQ
England