NT Browslist

amobbs at plasmon.co.uk amobbs at plasmon.co.uk
Tue Mar 31 09:19:46 GMT 1998

>I have  a UNIX server, running SUNOS 5.5, that keeps dropping of the NT
>brows list, in all other ways it is working normally.   I have found that
>the only way to bring it back is to reboot the UNIX server. Any ideas?
Out NetBSD servers have this problem too. A workaround seems to be to tell
the Samba server(s) not to be Master Browser, and let NT machines handle
it.

To further describe our problem, incase anybody on the mailing list has
further ideas:

The problem occurs with both Samba 1.9.17 and with the new nmbd code in
1.9.18. When a Samba machine is master browser, it appears to behave
reasonably, i.e. the log file entries look about right to the uninitiated
eye, it certainly knows about all machines on the network, and responds
when an NT machine asks for the browse list. However NT macines can only
see other NT machines, and cannot see _any_ of the samba machines.

I'll probably have a chance to look at this in more detail in a couple of
weeks time. I'll see if I can come up with anything more helpful then.

Andrew.
--
Andrew Mobbs - Software Engineer
             - Allstor Software Ltd.