Can't change directories in only one service.

Davin Petersen davinp at celltech.com
Fri Mar 27 17:18:01 GMT 1998

This is really weird.  A few weeks ago I could use Samba from a win95 to
a Linux box just fine.  Now I can't change into directories in the [web]
service.

Win95 client
Linux 2.0.32 (RedHat 5.0)
Samba 1.9.17p4

Here's the entry from my /etc/smb.conf file:
[web]
	comment = Corporate web development site
	path = /home/httpd
	write list = @webusers
	public = no
	writable = yes
	printable = no
	create mask = 0775
	case sensitive = yes

Password authentication is provided by an NT server, and working just
fine - home directories are available to all users.  The Unix /tmp
directory is publicly available and writeable.  Printers show up in the
browse list (but aren't being used).  Basically, what I'm saying is that
Samba looks like it's configured right.

But...

There are two active users on this system - davinp and bakers.  davinp
can use the [web] service and bakers can't.  Again this was working fine
a few weeks ago.  stevenb can map a drive to [web], but when he tries to
change directories, he gets a message stating that the directory does
not exist.  bakers default login group (in /etc/passwd) is webusers,
davinp is in the webusers group via. /etc/group (not /etc/passwd).
Passwords are the same on the NT system as the Linux box.

ARRRGGGG!!!  Help!

davinp at celltech.com