Machine shows up in browselist, but cannot be browsed

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Mon Mar 23 19:46:40 GMT 1998

I recently upgraded my samba server from the 17p3 binary available on the
website to a copy of 18p3 that I built myself.  Machines on the same
subnet as the server can connect to the server fine.  I am using the
"remote announce" flag in smb.conf to get the machine to show up in
"foreign" browselists.  I've checked the makefile that came with the
17p3 binary, and I'm not using any different compile flags.

My server shows up in browselists (eg in the network neighborhood, and in
"net view"), but if you try to connect to it in "Network Neighborhood", I
get the following error message:

"SERVERNAME is not accessable.  The network path was not found."

If I do a "net view \\servername", I get "System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found".

If I add an entry to the client's lmhosts file, I can browse stuff just
fine.. but before I switched to 18p3, I didn't need to do that - "remote
announce" was sufficient.

I HAVE tried the 17p3 smb.conf file with my build of 18p3.  It doesn't
change anything.  I still can't actually browse my server from other
subnets.

The problem seems to be somewhere along the lines of "Tests 8-10" in the
DIAGNOSE.TXT file, but it's not _quite_ the same.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Liam Hoekenga
IT Contract Services
University of Michigan

Here's the relevant stuff from the 17p3 smb.conf:
[global]
workgroup = SNRE-GIS
security = server
password server = xena
comment = SNRE GIS Facility
server string = Samba %v on Atlas
remote announce = (list of IP addresses / workgroups deleted)

Here's the relevant stuff from the 18p3 smb.conf:
[global]
workgroup = SNRE-GIS
security = server
password server = xena
comment = SNRE GIS Facility
server string = SNRE GIS Facility (Samba %v on Atlas)
domain master = yes
local master = yes
prefered master = yes
os level = 35
username map = /usr/local/packages/samba-1.9.18p3/lib/users.map
remote announce = (list of IP address / workgroups deleted)