Slow writes continued

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Fri Jun 5 12:11:52 GMT 1998

Jonathan Peterson <jon at amxstudios.com> wrote
> I posted a while back about getting very slow writes. People suggested
> modifying (increasing) SO_SNDBUF and SO_RCVBUF and this actually helps
> enormously. However, there is obviously something still not right.
> Writes
> are still about 1/2 the speed of reads. This only seems to affect Win95
> clients (NT machines are fine).
> P.S. my RCVBUF and SNDBUF are now set to 10240 bytes.

	If it's specific to '95, then you might have a mismatch between
	the improvements you put into the server and the corresponding
	tuning parameters on the client.

	Back in windows 3.x, `RWIN' (receive window) was somewhat
	oversensitive: setting it too small caused a sudden drop-off in
	performance, too large ate low-memory buffers.  Ditto write.

	Could Some Kind Person say what the win95 and NT registry
	items and their values are?  I could then prognosticate
	about what should happen in a mismatch (:-))

--dave (the Unix bigot) c-b
Willowdale, Ontario   | davecb at hobbes.ss.org, canada.sun.com
M2N 1Y3. 416-223-8968 | http://java.science.yorku.ca/~davecb