Trouble connecting with smblient

Sean E. Millichamp sean at compu-aid.com
Fri Jul 17 19:28:22 GMT 1998

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Douglas Valkenaar wrote:

> I've just installed version 1.9.18p8 on SPARC Solaris 2.5.  I can connect
> with no problem from by NT box (map network drive), but when I try using
> smbclient '\\\\machine\\share' from the machine I installed on, I get:
>
> SMBtconX failed.  ERRSRV - ERRinvnetname (Invalid network name in tree
> connect.)
> Perhaps you are using the wrong sharename, username or password?
> Some servers insist that these be in uppercase.
>
> I've tried all different 'cases', but that didn't help anything.
>
> Any ideas?

In SMB, the conventional way of naming access to a share is
\\machine\share

The command smbclient '\\\\machine\\share' tries to connect to the share
\\\\machine\\share.  The reason is because you have enclosed the command
in ' (quotes) which has the string interpreted literally.  You want to use
one of the following

smbclient \\\\machine\\share

or

smbclient '\\machine\share'

in the first example the shell escapes the two backslashes into a single
backslash so smbclient sees "\\machine\share"

In the second example the single quotes tell the shell not to escape the
backslashes and it gets passed as typed to smbclient.

I feel this will solve your problem (unless something else is wrong in
addition ;).

Best,
Sean