New user "linux bugs"

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Sat Jul 11 20:29:50 GMT 1998

>Secondly, and most importantly, people who are able to
>support Samba for other users could help greatly by
>answering other peoples questions on the mailing lists
>and newsgroups. I know they do this anyway, but what
>has occured is that people email samba-bugs with
>usage questions, rather than emailing the general
>samba list. The samba-bugs address really should be
>for new patches and bug reports only. Imagine if
>the linux-kernel development list was linked to
>the new linux user lists and you get the idea of
>the incoming traffic to samba-bugs :-).

Forward them on unedited to this list or a new
"first tier support" list (which you may already have), maybe
labelled "new-user-bugs" so they get a direct e-mail
response.  I'm personally hoping the 1.9.19
development is proceeding quickly, as I've committed
to moving away from NT as fast as we can.  I'll
start looking at the CVS tree and see if there's anything
I can document.  With NT 5.0 delayed yet again, the
opportunities are outstanding to have Samba/Linux
step in as a fully functional better substitute.

Also, it's very good to encourage people to upgrade to
recent releases.  It's amazing the number of "Can't run
1.7.6beta on RedHat 3.9" bugs get reported.  First
support question - "Are you running a version released
this century?"
--
Bill Eldridge
Deputy Director Technical Operations