Cross-subnet browsing with multiple domains/workgroups

Bob Franklin R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
Fri Jul 3 10:51:57 GMT 1998

Hi,

I'm trying to set up browsing across subnets to provide an
'enterprise'-wide (sorry for the MS term ;-) browse list / Network
Neighbourhood.

I've read BROWSING.TXT, but I can't see how machines on different subnets
in different domains/workgroups sync up (using Samba, anyway).

On my local subnet, I've set up a clunky old Linux 386 (Samba 1.9.18p8)
as the browse master (workgroup = a) and I've got a central server
(Solaris; Samba 1.9.18p8, too) doing WINS and has a big 'os level' on a
central point on the network.  The two machines are on different subnets.

I've tried to get the Linux machine to sync up with the central machine
using 'remote browse sync' but it says that it is not in the same
workgroup/domain and cannot sync.

The really odd part (to me, anyway) is that the central machine has a big
browse list which contains the names of domains/workgroups all over
campus, but no-one else has configured their machines to know about it
(since it's only experimental) and it would not be reached by normal IP
subnet broadcast rules.  The central machine also has the name of the
workgroup which the Linux server mastering.  How does that happen?

Is this is general problem (and I'm missing something / doing something
wrong) or is it a problem with Samba not being able to pass information
down for the master browser back to the local browser for different
(non-local subnets)?

  - Bob

  I also seek adventure and fortune in the New World! -> esteban at mince.net
  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{], CNE ;), MCSE ;)           Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  Computer Services Centre                      R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.         http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~mince/