Transfering passwords from Unix to NT

SI-Gaetan Boudreau boudreg at IRCM.UMontreal.CA
Mon Jan 26 20:27:13 GMT 1998

Hi fellow Samba Admin.

What is the best way to transfer the password file from Unix to NT.

Let's say we have Samba running with security=server and encrypted=yes
and the encrypted passwords are in the smbpasswd file.  The
authentication server is a Unix machine.

If we want to add an NT server (PDC) on the network and make it
authenticate with "password server = NTmachine", is there a way to
transfer all the users passwords from smbpasswd on the Unix machine to
the SAM on the NT machine.

Is it easier to migrate from clear text password ?
Because we are still in that mode for now.  Which brings another
question.  Is there a way, other than having each user set is encrypted
password with the command "smbpasswd", to switch from clear password to
encrypted mode ?
Is storing the passwords in smbpasswd mean that the user can have a
different password for Unix and SMB ?

Thank you for your time.

Gaetan Boudreau, ing/P.Eng.
Administrateur de reseau/Network Administrator
IRCM (Institut de recherches cliniques de Montreal/
      Clinical Research Institute of Montreal)

tel: 514-987-5563   fax: 514-987-5644
Internet E-Mail: Gaetan_Boudreau at IRCM.UMontreal.CA
Internet Web Site: http://www.ircm.umontreal.ca