Hostname lookups fail when hostname is all numeric!

Jim Watt jimw at pe-nelson.com
Wed Jan 14 18:56:30 GMT 1998

--On Thursday, January 15, 1998, 4:52 AM +1100 "Rick Flower" <flower at ms31.sp.trw.com> wrote:

} I'm using Samba 1.9.17p4 on Solaris 2.5.1 and have been pretty well off so far
} (except for printing, but that is another story).  Anyway, I was playing around
} with what I'm calling smbwall (was ~/extra/misc/wall.perl) which allows messages
} to be sent to all hosts connected to the samba server.  Anyway, I noticed that
} my machine was NOT getting these broadcast messages. After a little research,
} I found that we've got two machines that have the following hostnames :
}
} 02634211
} 02802771
}
} Neither of these machines are able to get these broadcast messages.. All the
} other machines that I tried have the same style hostnames, but have a "p" on
} the front making them in the following format :
}
} p02634782

>From RFC 952 (DOD INTERNET HOST TABLE SPECIFICATION):

   1. A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
   to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
   sign (-), and period (.).  Note that periods are only allowed when
   they serve to delimit components of "domain style names". (See
   RFC-921, "Domain Name System Implementation Schedule", for
   background).  No blank or space characters are permitted as part of a
   name. No distinction is made between upper and lower case.  The first
   character must be an alpha character.

Not "should be an alpha character", "must be..."!

Jim
--
Jim Watt                                 jimw at PE-Nelson.COM
Perkin-Elmer Corporation                 Voice (desk): +1 408 577 2228