"logon path" parameter work?

sven at sven.cp.uconn.edu sven at sven.cp.uconn.edu
Fri Jan 2 00:04:50 GMT 1998

Hello,

Does the "logon path" paramter work as the man page says?

from smb.conf man page:
>This  parameter  specifies  the  home  directory where roaming profiles
>(USER.DAT / USER.MAN files for Windows 95) are stored.

Does this function of parameter work for people? I have tried many
combinations of \\server\share & sometimes \path and the only thing that I
can tell enables the above is the ProfileImagePath key in win95 registry.
Is this parameter supposed to set this key?

>This option takes the standard substitutions, allowing you to have
>separate  logon scripts  for  each user or machine.  It also specifies
>the directory from which the "desktop", "start menu", "nethood" and
>"programs" folders, and their contents, are loaded and displayed on your
>Windows 95 client.

These directories are created, but only if there is no ProfileImagePath
entry for particular user when first logging on.  If such a key exists,
then only the Desktop directory is created.  Can anyone figure out this?

>The  share and the path must be readable by the user for the
>preferences and directories to be loaded onto the Windows 95 client.
>The share must be writeable  when the  logs in for the first time, in
>order that the Windows 95 client can create the user.dat and other
>directories.

Have never seen client create user.dat on server although there is also
mention of this in DOMAIN.txt included with source.

I have no "System Policies" running on test machine

Confused..

Thanks. Sven

samba-1.9.18alpha14 comiled on RedHat 5.0 with following smb.conf:

[global]
workgroup = CAREER
allow hosts = 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
browse list = yes
case sensitive = no
domain logons = yes
domain master = yes
dont descend = /proc,/dev
guest account = nobody
;encrypt passwords = yes  #need des libraries
interfaces = 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
load printers = yes
local master = yes
lock directory = /var/lock/samba
locking = yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
logon path = \\%N\%U
logon home = \\%N\%U\samba
logon script = STARTUP.BAT
map hidden = yes
max log size = 50
netbios name = TORONODO
null passwords = no
os level = 65
preferred master = yes
preserve case = yes
print command = lpr -h -r -P%p %s
printcap name = /etc/printcap
printer driver file = /home/win95A/printers.def
printing = bsd
security = user
short preserve case = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY

[homes]
comment = your private directory/folder
path = /home/%S/samba
public = no
writeable = yes
; all files created will have rwx for owner only
create mode = 0700
browseable = no

[netlogon]
comment = Samba network logon service
create mask = 0744
path = /home/netlogon
; case sensititivity breaks script processing
case sensitive = no
public = no
locking = no
read only = no
browseable = no
;rootpreexec = /home/netlogon/makeRegistryFile %U
; remove admin user in deployment
;admin users = root

[win95A]
comment = Shared installation of Windows 95 Release 2
path = /home/win95A
writeable = yes
browseable = yes
;public = yes
create mask = 0744
map archive = no
map hidden = no
admin users = root

[office97]
comment = Shared installation of Microsoft Office 97
path = /home/office97
volume = "Office97std"
available = yes
read only = yes
browseable = no
share modes = no
locking = no
create mask = 0740
map archive = no
map hidden = no
public = no
admin users = root
force group = install

[Blossom]
; need a print service for each printer, I think???
; if no dmb then you cannot browse available printers
comment = HP LaserJet 4
; need path or defaults to /tmp
path = /var/spool/samba
; browseable reveals a "printers" object in new view
browseable = yes
printable = yes
public = yes
writeable = no
create mask = 0700
printer driver = HP LaserJet 4
printer driver location = \\TORONODO\win95A\SYSTEM