Win95 clients can't see Samba servers

Jason Leonard jleonard at tecom.com.au
Wed Feb 18 23:58:06 GMT 1998

I am running Samba 1.9.18p2 on UnixWare 2.1.2 and 1.9.16p9 on Debian Linux.

WinNT 4 SP3 workstations/servers have no trouble seeing these servers.
Win95 clients, however, cannot:

net view \\sambaservername
Error 2103: The server you specified cannot be located.

I have updated the lmhosts file on the 95 clients, and specified both a NT
server and one of the samba servers as a WINS server.  I can, of course,
'ping' the servers.  I no entry for hosts allow or hosts deny in the
smb.conf file, and I have a 'pcguest' user on the samba server.

Thanks
Jason Leonard
Tecom Systems