Encrypted passwords and OS2/Win95/Win98

Steve Snyder ssnyder at indy.net
Tue Dec 29 15:16:09 GMT 1998

My LAN is running Samba v1.9.18p10 under RedHat Linux v5.2.  Using the SMB
services are Win95 and OS/2 clients.  It's all running fine.

I will soon be adding Win98, though, and I understand that there is a
question of password encryption.  I'm concerned how the
encrypted/plain-text communication of password will affect my existing
configuration.

If I reconfigure Samba to use encrypted passwords, won't that effectively
disabling logging into the shares from Win95 and OS/2?

Is there a way to force Win98 to use plain-text passwords?  (Security isn't an
issue here.)

Is there a way to force Win95 and OS/2 to use encrypted passwords?

Thanks.

*** Steve Snyder ***