%L, subnets and dns resolution Xmas problem

Dan "Effugas" Kaminsky effugas at best.com
Fri Dec 25 08:56:34 GMT 1998

Merry Xmas!

Your problem is not with Samba.  Here's the issue:  Suppose, on an NT
machine, you type something like:

start \\10.0.0.3

NT does something along the lines of:

1.  Query the service list of the IP given.
2.  Grep for the relevant hex name that identifies the Netbios Name
3.  Connect to the IP using the Netbios Name.

This happens, by the way, to be a very good system, and is something I'd
like to see smbclient support, although smbclient should do it right and
have alias support.

Now, 95/98 act very similarly, but can not be fed an IP directly.  However,
they CAN be configured to lookup NetBIOS names via DNS, at which point they
act as above.  Note, this means they lost the original identity of the
"requested servicename"--Windows SMB has no concept of aliases.  (Note--I
know nothing of the datastream--it's *very* conceivable that the requested
servicename lies somewhere, and thus can be extracted by Samba.  Why don't
you do a little LAN sniffing and report the results?)

The solution given--using virtual addresses--seems rather nightmarish to
implement.  You'd have to hand-hack the way nmbd and smbd start up to
display a different Netbios *NAME* for each interface.  I don't know off
hand how you'd do that.  Now, what MIGHT work would be to remote announce to
subnets you wanted to be able to see your server.  You may or may not need
to remove from DNS too.  Note, I've never seen Remote Announce actually
work, but we have a funky install around these parts :-)

Please post if something I said helped you in any way.

--Dan Kaminsky

------

In the works of Spelling, a predominant concept is the distinction between
ground and figure. In a sense, the example of textual discourse which is a
central theme of Beverly Hills 90210 emerges again in Models, Inc.. Many
situationisms concerning the bridge between class and sexual identity may be
discovered.
(   http://www.cs.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/postmodern  )