oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Sat Dec 19 09:18:29 GMT 1998

Bruce,

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998 18:14:42 +1100, Bruce Tenison wrote:

>> 	Are oplocks needed on that share?  Have you tried turning them
>> off?  If you're simply running the F-SECURE program from there, you
>> shouldn't need oplocks.
>>
>I'm pretty sure that they're needed, since the clients don't actually run
>the software from there, but they use the share to check for updates to
>the AV files, and report back to the Administration station via the share
>on any located viruses.  Works really nice, when it works ;)
>
>Maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose of oplocks?!?!?

Yes. Opportunistic locks (oplocks) allow the client to agressively cache file
contents local. When having "oplocks = false" they just dont cache file contents.
It has nothing to do with record locking.

Hasta la vista,
               Robert

Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Radio Bornheim - 2:2461/332 at fidonet +49-69-4930830  (ZyX, V34)
                 2:2461/326 at fidonet +49-69-94414444 (ISDN X.75)