NT domains and 1.9.18pSomething

Matthew Kirkwood weejock at ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 16 17:24:59 GMT 1998

Hi,

I'm trying to replace an NT SBS box with a RH5.2 box, and
things are proceeding quite well, save a few samba troubles.

I've found that the NT4WS (SP4) clients can log in if told
to use a samba machine as a "workgroup", but that they can
not find a domain controller if told to use "domain" logons.
(They have the registry password encryption hack installed.)

log.nmb records "Samba is now a domain controller for EHR",
or similar, and after c-a-d'ing the NT box, the login box
appears almost immediately.

Filling in suitable details and hitting "log in" (or whatever
it says), however causes the machine to sit there for ~20 secs
and then announce that it can't find a domain controller and
that the user might not see desktop changes made since last
logon.

I don't have the smb.conf to hand, but there's nothing particularly
unusual about it.  I can find and supply it on demand..

Is there any particular reason why the samba-1..18pN shipped
with RH5.2 should do this?  Or should I try again with the
v2.0 betas?

Matthew.