SAMBA digest 1898

Kamal Ahmed kahmed at hekimian.com
Fri Dec 4 17:59:08 GMT 1998

I would like to request you Samba gurus , what is the significance of teh
file " username-map " which currently is in
/usr/local/samba/lib. I have tried the following entries:

jhall = hall_j
kamal = kamal
root = root

but i dont know what it does , now the question : Can i manage users with
this file , i.e I just add entries to this file on the fly and the users
will have access to the shares, and can i define shares here.

My second question is in order for a NEW smb.conf to take effect do i need
to kill smbd & nmbd ?. and start samba again ?.