static entries to WINS, how to do correct ?

Hermann Lauer Hermann.Lauer at IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Tue Aug 25 02:38:45 GMT 1998

Dear samba users,

I'm trying to add static entries to a samba WINS server (samba-1.9.18p8-51.2).

Therefore I have a file /etc/samba/lmhosts:
klimt.iwr       KLIMT
klee            KLEE

and start nmb with:
/usr/sbin/nmbd -d 3 -H /etc/samba/lmhosts

The problem now is:
Only if "wins proxy=yes" is set in smb.conf (see below) the hosts are found via
broadcast from a win95 machine if you use "net view \\KLIMT".

The same behavior you get from "smbclient -L \\KLIMT", if smbclient is
configured to use wins and broadcast. (The configuration file for smbclient
seems to be the same as for nmbd (smb.conf), so it's some sort of weird to
configure smbclient to use the wins on the same machine).

Of course, broadcasting works only from the same subnet, so from an remote
subnet I have no idea how to get this working.

Any clues what's wrong there ?

Thanks for ideas.

   Hermann

P.S: Please reply also directly to me. Thanks again.

Excerpt from /etc/smb.conf
# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
   wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
;   wins server = freitag

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one  WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

# name resolve order: festlegen des Netbios resolvings:
        name resolve order = lmhosts host bcast