Browsing via Win95 ppp

Tony N tonynich at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 17 07:33:04 GMT 1998

While there is a lot about the above subject in the archives as well as
FAQ's etc, I just can't seem to get this working. Our setup is a SCO 5
box running SAMBA 1.9.8p8 (the latest)on a network using a single domain
and about 50 Win95 clients; and several remote Windows 95 clients which
dial in using "dial up networking". Using explicit addresses, the remote
clients can use use shared drives: so far so good. But I can't get the
browsing working. I have not (yet) set up a WINS server: is that the
problem; or can I get away with LMHOSTS set up correctly? Each client
has a private line, so will present a consistant IP number depending on
who they are. Oh, and if I put them in the server LMHOSTS, the SMBCLIENT
-d2 HostSharename does return the correct share information.

Help?

Many Thanks,
Tony Nichols
Bedford Industries,