Releasing file locks

Matt JD Aldridge Matt.Aldridge at NEXOR.Co.UK
Thu Aug 6 16:23:07 GMT 1998

> Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 08:03:32 -0400
> From: "Thomas G. Tri" <ttri at skees.com>
> To: samba at samba.anu.edu.au
> Subject: Releasing file locks
>
> We have Win95 / NT PCs connected to a Solaris 2.6 Ultra2 running SAMBA
> 1.9.17p3.
>
> If one of the PCs "crashes", SAMBA continues to maintain the
> file locks (ie
> SMB deny modes) in its internal list.  Is there a way, short
> of rebooting
> the server, to have SAMBA release those locks.

I had this problem.  I tried setting the SO_KEEPALIVE socket option in
smb.conf, but this seemed to have no effect, so I set keepalive = 30 in
smb.conf which works great, the smbd closes itself down after a minute or
two of the client machine crashing.

Should this be a default option, or should its potential usefulness be made
more obvious in the documentation.  FYI I am running 1.9.18p8 on Solaris
2.5.  With Win 95 and NT it is not uncommon to have clients crash on you :).

Cheers, hope this helps,

Matt.
--
Matt JD Aldridge - NEXOR Technical Analyst
Email: mailto:Matt.Aldridge at NEXOR.Com