smbpasswd problem

Daniel David Benson bensond at ssds.ucdavis.edu
Wed Apr 29 20:20:53 GMT 1998

I can't seem to figure this on out.  I just recently put 1.9.18p4
on one of my DECs.  The root user can change user smbpasswds without
a hitch.  Unfortunately, normal users get the following error:

black#smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
smbpasswd: machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : The specified password is invalid.

I read Todd Plaff's comment on the hosts allow 127.0.0.1 entry and followed
suit.  What exactly does that error mean?

Also, with the smbpasswd -r functionality can I update another samba server's
password database?

Thanks!

-Dan

Daniel David Benson                                bensond at ucdavis.edu
System Administrator            http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~bensond
Social Science Data Service      pgp - finger bensond at aion.ucdavis.edu
University of California, Davis                             Linux User