can Samba have multiple personalities?

Joerg Lenneis lenneis at statrix2.wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Apr 29 13:26:26 GMT 1998

"Robert Dahlem" <Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de> writes:

> John,
>
> On Wed, 29 Apr 1998 06:30:26 +1000, John Harper wrote:
>
> >Is there any way to give Samba (or more accurately the machine on which
> >Samba is running) a "multiple personality"? I.e. it might advertise
> >itself under different netbios names and offer different services (and
> >in particular might do encrypted passwords under one name, and not with
> >the other).
>
> You did not scan smb.conf(5) for "alias", did you?
>
> Regards,
>         Robert

There are at least two more ways you can go about this. The first is
to have more than one configuration file and load them with the help of
% substitutions. E.g.

[global]
config file = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%R

%R is the protocol name (you could use any other macro useful for
you). As soon as the value for %R is determined (say "NT1" for
instance) the configuration file /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.NT1 is
loaded and merged.

The drawback of this approach is that the semantics of what is
loaded/merged when can get somewhat tricky to follow.

The second approach is to use network aliases. This means that a
single network card can be seen under more than one IP address/domain
name. You can configure a different Samba setup for each of these
aliases. You need an operating system that supports this, of course.

--

Joerg Lenneis

email: lenneis at statrix2.wu-wien.ac.at