SAMBA digest 1656

Martin Mielke martin at jaleo.idecnet.com
Thu Apr 16 17:29:41 GMT 1998

> Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:15:18 -0500
> From: Patrick Harrold <patrickh at nasco-inc.com>
> To: samba at samba.anu.edu.au
> Subject: Cannot see share from Network Neighborhood
>
>         I am really new to Samba, but have a mediocre understanding of UNIX!  I
> just installed samba-1.9.18p3 on a FreeBSD2.2.2 box.  It installed fine,
> and the diagnostics all went well.  I can map drives on my Win95 client
> with no problem.  However, I cannot see the samba box on Network
> Neighborhood.  I see the icon, but when I click on it, I get an error
> message stating that "The computer or share name could not be found..."  .
> I have read and re-read the diagnosis.txt and the FAQ, but am drawing a
> blank.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Patrick Harrold                         Nasco, Inc.
> Systems Administrator                   2100 Old Highway 8
>                                         St. Paul, Minnesota 55112
> (612) 638-1878                          patrickh at nasco-inc.com
>

>         This message may be smaller than it appears.

Dear Patrick,

sorry I cannot help you with your problem by now, mostly because I suffer it too. I already posted my problems several times and I'm
still waiting for a solution.

As workaround, try to find the Samba Server using the "Start -> Find" utility of Win95 and see if it works. You should be able to
"mount" UNIX shares on the PC using a command like "net use x: \\sambaserver\share".

In my case, there's a problem with the PROTOCOL.INI file:

    "MSDLC module not found in PROTOCOL.INI

    DLC load failure"

so I would be very thankfull if somebody sends me a correct (generic?) PROTOCOL.INI file. Or, if you think the problem might be
anywhere else, please let me know.

Thanks in advance and I hope this helps!

Best regards,

M at rtin

--
Martin Mielke