smbpasswd does not work for normal users in 1.9.18p4

Geza Makay makayg at math.u-szeged.hu
Tue Apr 14 06:52:30 GMT 1998

Hi everyone,

It seems to me that smbpasswd does not work for normal users in Samba
version 1.9.18p4. If I invoke it as root, then there is no problem with it,
but if I invoke it as a normal user, then I get the following:

$ smbpasswd -D 99
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Connecting to 127.0.0.1 at port 139
write_socket(3,76)
write_socket(3,76) wrote 76
Sent session request
got smb length of 1
smbpasswd: machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the session request. Error was : code
131.

Moreover, the ENCRYPTION.txt file is a bit outdated now: you do not need
libdes, and you should NOT set smbpasswd to suid root.

Thanks for any suggestions.

With best regards,

Geza

*           Name: Geza Makay                                            *
*      Institute: Jozsef Attila University of Szeged                    *
*           Mail: Bolyai Institute, Aradi vertanuk tere 1.              *
*                 H-6720, Szeged, Hungary                               *
*            Tel: (62) 454-091 (Hungary's code: 36)                     *
*    Fax/Message: (62) 326-246 (Hungary's code: 36)                     *
*         E-mail: makayg at math.u-szeged.hu                               *
* World Wide Web: http://www.math.u-szeged.hu/                          *