Microsoft Fax

Sean E. Millichamp sean at compu-aid.com
Wed Apr 8 14:52:56 GMT 1998

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998, Derek Ziegler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> does anyone has some Information about M$ Exchanges Fax. If you
> configure Exchange there is an Option about Fax. If you go there, you
> can say you have the Modem on your PC or you can say it is in the
> Network and you have to put in the Networkpath. It would be great to
> use this with Samba but at this time I think Samba doesnt
> support it. Maybe someone has some Information for me how I can use
> this whith my Linux-Box or some Information if the Samba Crew is
> planning to implement this Feature.
>
> Thanks
>
> Derek Ziegler
[snip]

Hi Derek,

As far as I know, there is no functionality in Samba to utilize faxing
like that since that requires a set of special (probably MS proprietary)
SMB calls seperate from both the current file and printer calls.  There
are a couple of options, however:

Option 1: Look at the Faxing.txt document in the Samba distribution and
setup your fax modem to look like a printer under Samba.

Option 2: There is a program called HylaFAX that is completely seperate
from Samba.  It has it's own clients for Unix, Win 3, Win 95, and Mac and
a Unix-side server program.  Best of all, it's freely available, source
and all.  I am not sure of the specific licensing though.  We will
probably be implementing it at my company network early this summer
sometime.  For more information check out http://www.vix.com/hylafax

I hope this helps.

BTW: I have no affiliation with HylaFAX whatsoever and no actual
experience with it (yet).  I just think it looks like a real good product
if you need faxing capabilities.

Best,
Sean