Samba-1.9.17p2 & PAM

Bill Campbell bill at camco2.celestial.com
Mon Sep 29 23:29:33 GMT 1997

On Tue, Sep 30, 1997 at 02:23:28AM +1000, Tom Hutchison wrote:
>Excuse me if this is an old question as I am new to the list.
>
>Has anyone built Samba-1.9.17p2 from the sources on RedHat 4.1, i.e.
> PAM -0.54.  After uncommenting in the Makefile,
>
> PAM_FLAGS = -DUSE_PAM
> PAM-LIBS = -ldl -lpam
>
>I compiled samba and installed it.  Unfortunately it will not
>authenticate a user no matter what I try.  I am not good enough to debug
>the log files and strace output. Any help or advice would be greatly
>appreciated.

I've found on Caldera Open Linux 1.1 (Base and Standard) that
compiling without the -DUSE_PAM stuff works just fine.  I don't know
about other implementations, but on Caldera the shared libraries seem
to automatically do the Right Thing if you're not getting down and
dirty with the /etc/password or /etc/shadow files manually.

The only program I've had to recompile with PAM is xlock.  Other
things like ssh, imapd, qpopper, etc. just seem to work.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100

A child can go only so far in life without potty training.  It is not
mere coincidence that six of the last seven presidents were potty
trained, not to mention nearly half of the nation's state legislators.
		-- Dave Barry