logging out hangs win95 consistently

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Sep 23 15:22:08 GMT 1997

hi charles,

if i recall correctly, you are the person who mentioned that when a
specific query for a netbios name comes in, nmbd hangs.

this is probably because the DNS name for that machine being queried is
different from its NetBIOS name.

try "dns proxy = no", also try sorting out your DNS resolution on your
server (the gethostbyname() call is blocking nmbd for a prolonged period
of time: about 15 to 30 seconds).

luke

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Charles Owens wrote:

> Any news on this front?  How goes the battle?
>
> I've been sent a suggestion that I configure my clients to use DNS for
> Windows Network name resolution, and just circumnavigate the whole WINs
> thing.  Somehow my reading of various sources had left me with the
> impression that there were some problems with doing this... but I'm going
> to play with it a bit this afternoon.   Any comments as to why this may or
> may not be a good idea?
>
> In any case, of course, I would still very much like to see this nasty
> nmd bug squashed (at least the current theory seems to be that the fault
> lies with nmbd).
>
> thanks,
>
> chuck
>
> On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Charles Owens wrote:
> >
> > > Luke,
> > >
> > > Just so you know, I've generated a level 10 nmbd log and sent it to Jeremy
> > > Allison, per his request.  I haven't heard from him since, but it didn't
> > > bounce back to me so I'm assuming he's got it.
> >
> > he's ill at the mo :-(
> >
> > > If you would also like to see this log, holler.  Its big:  1.8 megs!
> >
> > agh!
> >

> ---
>   Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc at enc.edu
>                                              http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
>   Network & Systems Administrator
>   Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
>   Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
>                                    too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton (lkcl at switchboard.net)
Web site under construction  (http://mailhost.cb1.com/~lkcl)
"Confront difficulties while they are still easy"