Microsoft Mail from the UNIX platform

Erwin Authried eauth at softsys.co.at
Fri Sep 12 14:32:58 GMT 1997

There is a solution that lets you access mail on your Unix server via Samba: mail4u.
It requires the Exchange Client on the PC side. Since mail4u and the Exchange Client
are available for 16 and 32bit, you can use Windows 3 and Windows 95 as well as
Windows NT. You can send mail locally as well as Internet Mail, and since mail4u is
written as a "transport provider", you can even use multiple transports at once.
For example, some existing MS-Mail postoffice for local mail, and mail4u for Internet mail
(although the MS-Mail postoffice is not required, mail4u has its own spool directories).
You have to modify your MTA configuration in a way that it writes local mail as seperate
files instead of a unix-style mailbox file. For outgoing mail, a shell script is needed
that feeds the spooled messages into sendmail. The necessary shellscript and modifications
for smail are provided with mail4u. With aliases, you can select mail4u/unix(pop3) delivery
or both at once for each user.

	http://www.mail4u.home.at

-Erwin

--
Erwin Authried           Softwareentwicklung und Systemdesign