Samba, Win95, and the HP Deskjet 1600CM PS

Ole Holm Nielsen ohnielse at fysik.dtu.dk
Mon Sep 8 09:01:04 GMT 1997

> Anyone know how to suppress the %! and newpage at the beginning of printing
> to the HP DeskJet 1600CM PS as a postscript printer?  It prints postscript
> fine, but it wastes a page when being printed to from Win95 for the above
> extra output.  No such thing happens when printing from UNIX.

We've had this problem too.  Remember to suppress the header page,
e.g., use "lpr -h".  We have this line in smb.conf:

   print command  = /usr/bin/lpr -h -s -r -P %p %s

You may also want to check the AIX printer setup, in SMIT's "Change /
Show Print Queue Characteristics" you can modify "Change / Show Default
Print Job Attributes" so that no header or trailer pages are generated
(this was on an AIX 4.2.1 system).

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Building 307
Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
E-mail: Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
WWW URL: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/persons/ohnielse.html
Telephone: (+45) 4525 3187
Telefax:   (+45) 4593 2399