Samba Performance vs. X-Windows/Telnet

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Thu Oct 23 14:16:54 GMT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Louis Mandelstam wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Robin J. Cox wrote:
>
> > However, it seems lately (especially in the afternoons) the
> > performance via the samba mount is very slow; I type a key in
> > the editor and it takes about 2 seconds for it to come back.

the delay between pressing a key and the time taken for it to sent back
over a network has nothing to do with the fact that the key has been
pressed, is stored in a key buffer, will be received at the other end, and
will be processed.

the results of those key presses may take some time to become apparent...

[i watch vt320 terminal users here keeping their finger down on the "up"
key for a few seconds, when using pine.  this causes them some
embarrassment when the vt320 issues, several seconds late, a continuous
stream of loud beeps.  the best one is when they press ctrl-S instead of
ctrl-X, and then keep pressing keys...]

luke