security = server accepts TWO passwords?

Edan Idzerda edan at mtu.edu
Sun Oct 19 11:51:15 GMT 1997

> Is this normal behavior? Does security = server mean accept both the
> local passwd on the domain server AND the password server?

Samba goes back to security = user if negotiation with the
server fails.  Handy, I suppose, if your password server goes
down and you'd like to be able to access your shares.

In other news, I'm still having a problem connecting to
Samba 1.9.17(p2 or p3) using security = server from Win 95 and NT
clients.  The password server is NT 3.51.  This ONLY happens to
users who have restricted client access to the NT password server.
I've tried listing the client, the Samba server, the NT server, and
my mother's maiden NetBIOS name in the access list to no avail.

Is anyone using Samba 1.9.17p2 or greater in a similar situation
with success?  Giving users unrestricted access solves the problem.
Strangely, using smbclient allows me to connect using either the
NT password or the unix password.

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

- edan

--
Edan Idzerda	<edan at mtu.edu>
System Administrator --  Michigan Technological University, Houghton MI USA