multiple servers on multiple network interfaces

John Blair jdblair at uab.edu
Fri Oct 17 06:26:45 GMT 1997

Hello,

I have a question concerning running multiple copies of smbd and nmbd to
service multiple network interfaces.  This is (currently) a hypothetical
question, though I am considering trying it.

First, suppose I have two network interfaces.  One of the interfaces could
only be a virtual interface using IP aliasing.  On the other hand, both
interfaces could be actual network connections, connected to seperate
networks.  As far as I understand, the difference is irrelevent to Samba.

Further, suppose I am running two instances of smbd and nmbd for each
server.  There is a seperate config file for each smbd/nmbd pair.  One uses
the compiled in location of /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.  The other is
started with the -s option to specify a different config file
/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.alt.  I use the interfaces option in each
config file to cause each smbd/nmbd pair to listen on a seperate network
interface.

Lastly, suppose both config files define a service which shares the same
directory.

Now that I've described all of that in detail, here's the question.  If
compile both to use file based locking (not shared memory locking) and set
both to use the same lock directory (like the default location of
/usr/local/samba/var/locks), will both instances of smbd share locking
information?  In other words, will a lock placed on one server take effect
on the other server b/c they use the same lock directory, or will one
server be confused by locks set by the other server?  If this works, is
there any way to make the two seperate instances use shared memory locking?

I'm just asking b/c there are some unusual situations (like making a server
appear in two workgroups) where this could be useful.

thanks much,
 -john.

.....John.D.Blair...   mailto:jdblair at uab.edu   phoneto:205.975.7123 .
                   .   http://frodo.tucc.uab.edu  faxto:205.975.7129 .
 ..sys|net.admin....                                                 .
 .                     the university computer center            .....
 ..... g.e.e.k.n.i.k...the.university.of.alabama.at.birmingham....