Integrating Samba and Win95 (?) in detail

Jan Kratochvil short at k332.feld.cvut.cz
Mon Oct 13 23:01:47 GMT 1997

Hi

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Louis Mandelstam wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Christian 'Dr. Disk' Hechelmann wrote:

[snip-snip]
> > > Well, I'm using DHCP to configure the clients. This applys to the bootdisk
> > > too, but the NetBIOS name seems to be hardcoded in the net\system.ini file...
> > > Ugly.
> >
> > It does - the best I could do was to automatically alter system.ini and
> > restart the client.
>
> Yep. And with the DOS client knowing how to alter system.ini is hard, but
> the above might work.

  I solved it by the similiar method as described by someone else in
the previous digest - IP->name resolving of address obtained by DHCP.
The whole boot stuff is on "ftp://k332.feld.cvut.cz/pub/priv/smb-ro.tar.gz".
It uses DIS_PKT9.DOS (NDIS->Packet Driver converter) to emulate PD
for NSLOOKUP.EXE of WATTCP (only binary remained - anyone knows 'bout
license conflicts?).
  Also this configuration is able to boot from write-protected media
(current setup for write-protected C: with binaries in C:\BOOT and using
D: as read-write for some temporary files). When changing these directories
- don't forget to update also SMBREDIR.ASM appropriately and recompile
by TASM.
  The whole boot is in one go without any restarts.

P.S.: Friend of mine will hopefully send me tomorrow the patches I made
before (on distant machine) for Samba/Shadow suite to allow
remote-password-change.

					Hope it helps,
						Jan "Lace" Kratochvil