Encrypted and cleartext at the same time?

Michael Stone mstone at itri.loyola.edu
Sun Oct 12 18:52:25 GMT 1997

> From: Leslie Mikesell <les at Mcs.Net>
> just work transparently.  How are other people dealing with the
> problem of keeping the system and samba passwords in sync as
> users change them and expect the same one to work for POP, etc.?

I've replaced passwd with a combination of perl and expect that
authenticates a user and calls various other programs to set passwords.
(I've got samba encrypted passwords, apache passwords and APOP
passwords.) I also put a https front end on it, since the system
password for almost all the users is '*'. It's ugly and kludgey, but it
does work.

--
Michael Stone, Sysadmin, ITRI     PGP: key 1024/76556F95 from mit keyserver,
mstone at itri.loyola.edu            finger, or email with "Subject: get pgp key"