SAMBA as a print server

Craig Huckabee huck at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 9 22:21:35 GMT 1997

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Simon Hyde wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 05:23:12 +1000, you wrote:
>

> >   Is anyone else successfully using SAMBA as a print server for
> >   Windows NT workstations?
> >
> >   We're trying to eliminate our NT servers and our NT domain and printing
> >   is the last real snag I have.  I've set up a Solaris 2.5.1 machine
> >   running 1.9.17p2 of SAMBA as a test.
> >
> >   When I try to add a printer I get the error described in section 3.7
> >   of the FAQ ("You do not have sufficient access to your machine to connect
> >   to the selected printer, since a driver needs to be installed locally.").
> >   So, I added the printer driver name and added the print$ share on the
> >   SAMBA server, and copied the driver files required to that share.
> >
> >   But, I still get the same error.  So, I cranked up the debug level
> >   and tried to find the problem - nothing obvious stuck out.
> >
> >   Can anyone tell me what else to try or change to make this work?
> >   I've added on my short smb.conf file below.
> >
> >   Thanks,
> >   Craig
> Well...This sounds like an NT-side error that can be resolved by
> simply logging in as administrator on the machine and then having
> another go at installing the printer...i've never had any problems
> with connecting an NT machine to our samba server, but then i've
> always done it as administrator
>
> >[3a]
> >   comment = Apple Laserwriter (3rd Floor Hallway)
> >   path = /tmp
> >   browseable = yes
> >   public = no
> >   writable = no
> >   printable = yes
> >   create mode = 700
>
> If you don't like the above solution you will need to add a "printer
> driver = " string to this section of your smb.conf, and specify the
> exact string that windows states when you install the printer driver.

  Actually, I had that in there previously, I must have taken it out
  during testing.  In or out, it doesn't make a difference.

  With an NT server acting as a print server, users can just drag n' drop
  printers without me having to preinstall anything as administrator, and
  without having any special rights to do so.  This is the effect I'm
  hoping I can duplicate with SAMBA.

  Any ideas on that front?

  Thanks,
  Craig

  PS  I cc'd the mailing list on this just to let others know I goofed
      on the smb.conf copy I posted as mentioned above.

Craig Huckabee 				E-Mail : huck at cs.wisc.edu
Computer Systems Lab, Computer Sciences Department
University of Wisconsin-Madison
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~huck/