preserving UNIX file permissions

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Mon Oct 6 18:42:34 GMT 1997

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 02:46:37 +1000, you wrote:

>Hi, I have a small household network and I am providing access to home
>directories on the server via Samba, so that we can edit files from the
>other PCs even if they are in win95.  One annoying thing however is that
>every time a file is edited and then saved it's permissions are set to
>whatever the share's create mask is set to.
>
>This wouldn't be such a problem, but it seems that even with create mask =
>777 I can't get any files to be created with group or other execute
>permission.  This is playing havoc for people who want to edit their perl
>CGI scripts from Windows, as they then have to log into the server anyway
>to chmod them back to 755 or whatever.
>
>Is there a way to fix this?  Is it obvious, and I just haven't read the
>right bits of the manual?  Or am I misunderstanding some basic principle
>of Samba?
>
>Hope you can halp!
>
>Andy

This sounds as if it is probably the annoying habit of windows
programs when saving a file to:
-rename/delete original
-create a new file with same name as original
-delete original if not done in step 1

This really messes up samba file permissions because as far as samba
is concerned the files created in the second stage are simply new
files and should therefore be created with the default for new files.