smb clients and performance

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Mon Oct 6 15:09:11 GMT 1997

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Peter Blake wrote:

> A PC running WFWG 3.1x with the native networking enabled will broadcast,
> when connected to an ethernet, whether there is a server within earshot or
> not.

Because it's too stupid to do anything else. The DOS clients are really
simple.

> It you install TCP/IP (from M$), then the SMB (aka CIFS?) protocol can be
> carried by TCP and UDP frames. (Is this in addition to any raw mode,
> anybody?).

If you run both (IP, and NetBEUI)

> I have observed (with tcpdump) that M$ servers (and samba) will compete
> for election at regular intervals of a second or so.

Browsing.

> If WINS is disabled in favour of DNS, does the name-related broadcasting
> by an M$ client stop?

Actually, WINS cuts down the traffic more than DNS would, since WINS is a
directed NetBIOS name service request, it eliminates a broadcast, provided
it get's answered. DNS queries are only after the NetBIOS request fails.

                                [Darrin]

 "I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious."
				- A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753