NIS for Win95?

Gerald W. Carter jerry at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Mon Oct 6 12:52:45 GMT 1997

> I've read the docs and DOMAIN.txt, and it seems Samba will never be
> a PDC, unless Microsoft releases details on how NT does it. Which is
> fine... I want a program that gets logins and passwords from the unix
> box, and I don't care what protocol it uses (maybe NIS, Kerberos, or
> something else).

Samba is not currently a PDC for NT boxes.  Domain logons work fine for
Windows 95 and WfW.  I will defer as to whether Samba will ever be a PDC
for NT to someone else who works closely on the devleopment.

> Are there any freeware (preferably) clients out there that do this?
> I've been looking at NISGINA, but from the webpage (haven't tried
> installing it yet) it looks like its only for NT boxes as clients. Is
> there a similar package for Win95? (possibly replacing one or more
> Win95 DLLs...)

NISgina is only for NT.  Domain logons / Windows 95 allow you to
validate against NIS / NIS+ / passwd.  This is built-in to samba

> I'm also interested in how other people handle such a setup. Ideally,
> someone shouldn't be able to walk in and login without a valid account
> on the Unix box.

Several ways.  Have a very detailed setup for Windows / Samba in public
labs ( similar situation ).  Have been meaning to document it.  If you
are interested, I could go ahead an get that done.  Basically involves 3
steps to security.

	- Stop Light from Safety Net ( http://www.safetynet.com )
	- Restoring the system registry upon bootpup
	- Using Windows Policy Editor

Also had to do some hacks :)

Let me say that it is impossible to totally secure Windows 95.  No
matter what you do to secure it, there are ways around it.  That is
because that Win95 was NEVER meant to be a secure environment.

> If there isn't anything like this, my only choice would be to install
> an NT server solely for authentication (as all my users are currently
> on Solaris, I hate the prospect of migrating everybody over to NT, or
> maintaining duplicate password lists)

No need :)  see above notes.  BTW...all our servers are Solaris as well.
Feel free to contact me directly if you have questions.

j-

                          Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )