NIS for Win95?

Elfredy V. Cadapan evc at ics.uplb.edu.ph
Sun Oct 5 15:20:41 GMT 1997

Hello,

I recall someone on this list running an Internet cafe using samba
servers... I need to do something similar. The setup I want:
Several Win95 terminals with their logins authenticated off a Unix
(preferably Linux) box. No NT servers as either clients or servers, just
Win95 and a Linux or Solaris box.

I've read the docs and DOMAIN.txt, and it seems Samba will never be a PDC,
unless Microsoft releases details on how NT does it. Which is fine... I
want a program that gets logins and passwords from the unix box, and I
don't care what protocol it uses (maybe NIS, Kerberos, or something else).

Are there any freeware (preferably) clients out there that do this?
I've been looking at NISGINA, but from the webpage (haven't tried
installing it yet) it looks like its only for NT boxes as clients. Is
there a similar package for Win95? (possibly replacing one or more Win95
DLLs...)

I'm also interested in how other people handle such a setup. Ideally,
someone shouldn't be able to walk in and login without a valid account on
the Unix box.

If there isn't anything like this, my only choice would be to install an
NT server solely for authentication (as all my users are currently on
Solaris, I hate the prospect of migrating everybody over to NT, or
maintaining duplicate password lists)

 Elfredy Cadapan
  Institute of Computer Science, UP at Los Banos
  Home page : http://www.uplb.edu.ph/~evc/