Linux mmap() Problem

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Wed Nov 26 01:12:20 GMT 1997

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Dave Monroe wrote:

> I got the samba (1.9.17p4) sources and compiled everything on Linux
> kernal version 1.2.13 from Yggdrasil.
>
> The compile went fine, but the smbd got a runtime error from the
> mmap call in shmem.c.  Closer examination revealed the mmap() function
> appears not to work at all on this system.
>
> I got around the problem by allocating a shared memory segment and
> mapping the SHARE_MEM_FILE into it, but I'm sure this isn't what
> the authors had in mind.
>
> Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

You are using a very old by now version of Linux. You should seriously
consider upgrading to a system which uses kernel version 2.0.x. Otherwise,
do not use MMAP - I think there is a compile option to turn it off.

Using Linux 2.0.x and mmap() will give you better performance if that is
an issue.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301