Shared printers (or Print from PC to HPUX)

Jeff Foster jfoste at wgc.woodward.com
Wed Nov 19 14:07:17 GMT 1997

> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 97 9:31:15 MET
> From: Kamal BARAKAT <barakat at fast.u-psud.fr>
> To: samba at samba.anu.edu.au
> Cc: barakat at fast.fast.u-psud.fr.wgcinet
> Subject: Shared printers
>
> Hello,
> I install Samba on HP-UX V9.05.
> Any user declared on HP-UX can mount his own Home directory without problems.
> In smb.conf i declared the printers on HP-UX to be used by clients like
> Win95 and WinFW.
>
> I have not succeed to print any job from any client on HP-UX printers.

I had problems with printing when I started using samba.

Your printcap file looks OK.  You should have these lines in
your smb.conf file -

[global]
  printcap name = /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap
  printing = hpux
  load printers = yes
  print command = lp -oraw -onb -d %p %s

You can remove the '-onb' option from the print command if you want a banner
page.  This will leave the file printed in /tmp.  We have a cron job that
cleans these files out every night.  Otherwise, you could use this command to
remove the files after they are printed -

  print command = lp -c -oraw -onb -d %p %s; rm %s

The '-c' option will copy the file, them the rm command will remove the file
from /tmp. I'm not use if you have to use the '-c', I just put it in to be safe.

Jeff Foster jfoste at wgc.woodward.com