Problem with Share visibility on Samba

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Wed Dec 10 20:59:07 GMT 1997

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 20:59:16 +1100, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm running Windows NT 4.0 (SP3) as a client and using samba v1.9.17p4 on
>Solaris 2.5 for a server and ran into some problems with the visibility
>of shares. I'm not too sure if this is a feature or a bug.
>
>After I connect to the server the first time, the shares being listed on
>my client don't get refreshed properly. After connecting, I had removed a
>share from the server and added another. The problem is that the share I
>removed does not get removed from the client. The client can still access
>that share even though I find that it is gone when I use smbclient to
>access the server (this gives the correct picture). Moreover, the new
>share I posted doesn't appear in my client's explorer until a few minutes
>later.
>
>Any ideas where the problem may lie (if it is not an expected situation)?

Samba will only re-read the config file when it is restarted. Since you are
using inetd to load it when a connection is made (at least that's what I'm
guessing you are doing) then the new config file will only be loaded and
used by Sambe when a new connection is made (such as when you fire up
smbclient) however windows maintains connections to shares for a while even
if you are not using them, the copy of Samba servicing that share to that
machine will stay running (and therefore using the same config file) until
Windows closes the connection.

Hope this is of help,

Simon Hyde