samba-des has bad performance

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Tue Dec 9 19:55:20 GMT 1997

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 02:09:49 +1100, you wrote:

>[global]
>   comment = FreeBSD - Samba %v
>   workgroup = Musik
>   printing = bsd
>   printcap name = /etc/printcap
>   load printers = yes
>   guest account = nobody
>;  This next option sets a separate log file for each client. Remove
>;  it if you want a combined log file.
>   log file = /var/log/sambalog.%m
>   dont descend = /dev,/proc,/root,/stand
>   hosts allow = ipnumbers...
>

>   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
>   share modes = yes
>
>   map archive = no
>   status = yes
>   public = yes
>   read only = no
>   preserve case = yes
>   strip dot = yes
>   security = user
>   encrypt passwords = yes
>   guest ok = no
>   dead time = 10
>
>[homes]
>   comment = Home Directories
>   browseable = no
>   read only = no
>   create mode = 0770

I don't know about your speed problem (for that you might want to look at
Speed.txt in the docs directory of your samba distribution), but you have a
couple of very wierd options set in your global section, as man smb.conf
clearly says, 'guest ok' is a synonym for 'public' you are therefore
setting public to yes and then setting it to no, I'm not quite sure which
of these samba will take as the one to work with (can't say i've ever
really felt the need to change an option in the same section as I set it),
however were it to take the 'public = yes' as it's working param then I
suspect you would get very undesired results. 'public' is a share
parameter, not a global one, any values share parameters set in the global
section are then used as the defaults for all share section, ie were you to
set 'public = yes' in the [global] section of smb.conf then your [homes]
share which has no 'public = yes/no' setting would be public. This would in
effect allow anyone who has access to the server access to the [homes]
share, of course they would only have the uid of 'guest account' (usually
defaulting to nobody) however I personally would not take this kind of risk
and I suspect this is not what you intended.

Hope this is of help,

Simon Hyde