/etc/passwd - Domain Controller Synchronization

Jorge Silva (Jorge Gomes da Silva) jorgesil at microsoft.com
Fri Dec 5 18:02:59 GMT 1997

	[...Cut...]

> > scheme where username and password are exactly the same on Unix and NT.
> In
> > this kind of solution if the user changes it's password in NT it will
> also
> > change in Unix (/etc/passwd). We would like to know if this kind of
> > synchcronization is possible with Samba (we only need to reflect changes
> > made on NT to Unix, we don't need it to work from Unix to NT).
> >
> > If you think you can help me please email me your answers directly as
> I'm
> > not a member of this mailing list.
>
> hi jorge,
>
> i'm replying to the list as well, for their benefit.
>
> there are two ways to do this.
	[Jorge]  Three ways you mean :-)

> 1) on NT 4.0, use "security = server" in samba: read
> docs/security_level.txt
	[Jorge]  I'm going to check this.

> 2) if possible, install PAM on the unix clients, and install pam_smb 0.6.
	[Jorge]  Last night I was reading an article about PAM in Linux
Journal (December issue) and that seemed to be an excellent solution for the
problem. However I don't know if HP-UX (which is the Unix the customer is
using) supports PAM (or a similar approach) so I'll have to call HP and ask
them.

> 3) write a script that calls smbpasswd and passwd (or a shell
> script or c program that updates /etc/passwd and smbpasswd directly).
> call the script as the default telnet login to the unix password server.
	[Jorge]  I have some experience with C and Shell programming in Unix
but I don't think I know how to do this.

	Thanks for your help.