Properties of Samba server say "Windows NT server 4.2" ?

Stuart Langley hando at tig.com.au
Fri Aug 29 02:50:13 GMT 1997

> just wanting to go one better than microsoft - is that a crime?
>
> On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Gert-Jan Vons wrote:
>

> > Hello all,
> >
> > I recently noticed that when asking for the properties of a
> > samba server (i.e. right-click on name of Samba server in
> > network neighborood), Windows tells me that it is a
> >
> >       Type: Windows NT 4.2 Server
> >
> > It is nice to see that even Microsoft recognises that Samba has
> > an advance compared to NT4.0 :-), but how come ? Is it just
> > a harmless joke from the samba developers, or is it a bug ?
> >

> >       Gert-Jan
> >
> > PS1: keep up the good work guys, we're very happy with Samba!
> >
> > PS2: I've seen this with 1.9.16p11, and it is still there with
> >      1.9.17alpha5, client being a Windows NT4 workstation.
> >

>From smb.h

/* what server type are we currently  - JHT Says we ARE 4.20 */
/* this was set by JHT in liaison with Jeremy Allison early 1997 */
/* setting to 4.20 at same time as announcing ourselves as NT Server */
/* History: */
/* Version 4.0 - never made public */
/* Version 4.10 - New to 1.9.16p2, lost in space 1.9.16p3 to 1.9.16p9 */

/*  - Reappeared in 1.9.16p11 with fixed smbd services */
/* Version 4.20 - To indicate that nmbd and browsing now works better */

#define DEFAULT_MAJOR_VERSION 0x04
#define DEFAULT_MINOR_VERSION 0x02

Cheers,

Stuart