SMBD not killing process

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at cb1.com
Tue Aug 26 18:45:45 GMT 1997

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Jason Gerrity wrote:

> >>On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, Rob Naccarato wrote:
> >
> >then, you get [user2] created, but the share [user1] still exists!
> >
> >i have only been able to reproduce the problem, not fix it: i've sent
> >details, as best i can, to the other samba team people, so that those
> >more familiar with smbd (where the problem lies) can fix it.  in the
> >mean-time, i keep on hacking a local copy of smbd to see if i can narrow
> >this down some more.
> >

> So, what can I do in the meantime?  Go back to a previous version
> of Samba?  Does a previous version  stop this from happening?

no, probably not.  if it does, it's either an accident, or a bug :-)  i
reckon that if we close the connection when the last user logs off (you
can do several SMBsessionSetups to the same smbd) that this will solve
the problem.

in the meantime, it's not really a problem - just avoid explicit use of
the [homes] share - use the [user1] or [user2] share instead.

> Are there any log files I can send along to help fix
> this problem?  I concur with your observation about the smbd not
> exiting properly.

i've talked this through with jeremy - there is a background process
responsible for logins on NT (probably WINLOGON.EXE) which maintains a
connection to the HOMES share, even though there is no user logged on.
this is a reasonable thing to do, except that it screws us.

>  During some tests, smbstatus showed us some
> locked files without an associated client connected.

they wouldn't happen to be user.dat or NTuser.DAT, would they?

> >> the client appears to not always make a connection to the
> >> [netlogon] share to run the logon script.  It does, however,
> >> always connect to [netlogon] to open the config.pol file, which
> >> is always run after the logon script.
> >
> >[hm.  personal question: how did you get it to open / load the config.pol
> >file?]
> >

> The trick is to set "Load Balance" on the client (in Poledit or
> in the Registry).  This setting is found in Poledit under
> Local Machine->Network->Update.  Set Update to Automatic and
> Load Balance on. Then have config.pol in the [netlogon] share,
> readable by world.

thanks!

luke